As we trudge through these last few frigid weeks of winter we could all use something to warm up our bodies and our spirits. This Butterscotch Dr. McGillicuddy’s Hot Cocoa will definitely do the trick!! I don’t know about you, but this winter has been the longest in history! Given the Covid situation we haven’t gone out to eat or gotten together with our friends, for way too long. Our “going out” these days consists of sitting on the back patio with our electric heaters on and watching TV. So having a hot alcoholic beverage to warm us up has been a treat in more ways than one! This is our winter outdoor entertainment…LOL
Can I just say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Butterscotch Dr. McGillicuddy’s….sooo very delicious! The first time I ever tasted it was during the 2019 holiday season. I had a holiday party and a friend of mine brought Eggnog spiked with Butterscotch Dr. McGillicuddy’s instead of brandy, bourbon or rum! He also brought little airplane sized bottles of this luscious elixir for party guests to sip on and…OMG, I (along with many of my guests) fell in love!
Given the endless days of quarantine and having to brave the cold just to get outside, I began to experiment with “Hot” Cocktails. When I tried this version of Hot Cocoa it was all over….I had a winner! You can easily make this with Hot Cocoa Mix from the grocery store or you can use the homemade version of Hot Cocoa below. This is a version of Hot Cocoa that I adapted from America’s Test Kitchen but I made it with less sugar because the Butterscotch Dr. McGillicuddy’s is sweet. Soo…..I added less sugar and more liquor. Sounds like a reasonable swap, right?
It is also delectable with the addition of a dollop of whipped cream! We only have a few more weeks of winter to go, so I hope you’ll try this tasty treat to warm you up and keep you going until spring. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Cheers to spring time!!
Butterscotch Dr. McGillcuddy’s Hot Cocoa
- ½ cup Sugar
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup dry milk powder
- 5 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk per serving
- 1 – 1 ½ oz Butterscotch Dr. McGilliduddy’s per serving
- Makes 12 servings.
- Whipped Cream - Optional
- For each serving, heat one cup of milk in a saucepan over medium heat until just beginning to simmer. Add ¼ cup of the hot chocolate mix and whisk until the mixture returns to a simmer. Continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes, until all the chocolate is melted. Pour one cup into a coffee mug along with 1 to 1½ ounces of Butterscotch Dr. Mc Gillicuddy’s (or as much as you like).
- This recipe has half of the normal amount of sugar because the Butterscotch Dr. Mc Gillicuddy’s is fairly sweet. If you are making the Hot Cocoa by itself add double the amount of sugar.
- This is extra delicious with whipped cream. If you choose to make your own just add a cup of heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add a big dollop on top of your spiked Hot Cocoa and enjoy!!