Ahhh…..Stuffed Strawberry Sourdough French Toast! Just look at this glorious plate of slightly crisp sourdough french toast filled with sweetened cinnamon cream cheese and juicy strawberries. Then topped off with more strawberries, whipped cream, a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of pure maple syrup…oh yeah!! Let me tell you, it’s heaven on a plate! A wonderful way to start your morning!
I just love sourdough bread, but you can use any type of bread that you like. You just need to make sure that it is a hearty, sturdy bread. This is not the time or place for Wonder bread. It will just smush and won’t hold up to the glorious filling!
Start by beating 6 eggs and adding in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Make sure to whip all the ingredients until fully combined. Get your best non-stick skillet, and put it on the stove to warm up over medium/medium-low heat with some cooking spray and butter. Preheat the oven to 200° so you can keep the french toast warm as each batch is complete. This is one of those times I wish I had a big electric griddle. If you have one of those, now is the time to pull it out.
Pour the egg mixture into a shallow dish and dip each side of the bread for a few seconds in the egg mixture. Cook until golden brown and slightly crispy. Store them in the warm oven until you have cooked all of the french toast. Meanwhile, get the cream cheese filling put together. Microwave a block of cream cheese until soft and just slightly warm. Add the cinnamon and brown sugar and stir until well combined and smooth.
Now it’s time to assemble!! Lay down one piece of french toast and spread the cream cheese mixture over the top. Then pile on the juicy delicious strawberries!
On top of the strawberries add another piece of french toast and top with more strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream or cool-whip. Dust the whole thing with some powdered sugar and drizzle with some sweet warm maple syrup, and you have yourself a masterpiece!
Now that’s a Saturday morning breakfast that will get your weekend headed in the right direction! It’s a great dish to serve when you are having company over for brunch as well. You can have everything prepared in advance and assemble when your guests arrive. Or better yet, let your company assemble their own. Of course, you can also add or substitute any berries that you prefer. I hope you’ll give these Stuffed Strawberry Sourdough French Toast a try…it’s fun to make and a delight to eat!
Stuffed Strawberry Sourdough French Toast
- For the French Toast
- 8-10 Slices of Sourdough
- 6 Eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsps cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Oil & Butter for cooking
- Whipped Cream or Cool Whip and Maple syrup for topping the French toast.
- For the Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 quart Strawberries
- 1-2 Tbsp Sugar
- Thinly slice strawberries. Depending on how sweet your strawberries are, sprinkle them with 1-2 Tbsp of sugar and refrigerate until ready to assemble the stuffed French toast.
- In a medium sized bowl add 6 Eggs, ¼ cup milk, 2 tsps vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 Tbsp maple syrup and whisk together until well blended. Pour into a shallow dish.
- Microwave one 8 oz. block of cream cheese for 15-30 seconds or just until soft and slightly warm. Blend in 1 tsp of cinnamon and 2 Tbsp brown sugar. Stir until well smooth and creamy.
- Pre-heat oven to 200° degrees
- Place nonstick skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Spray with cooking spray and add a pat of butter to melt. Dip both sides of 2 pieces of sourdough bread in the egg mixture and cook until both sides are until golden brown. Add the French toast to a sheet pan and put into the warm oven. Repeat this process until all the French toast is cooked.
- To build the stuffed French toast, cover one piece of French toast with cream cheese mixture and top with strawberries. Add another piece of French toast and top with more strawberries and whipped cream. Dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with maple syrup as desired.