If you love spinach and artichoke dip and you like a little spice you will love this Spinach and Artichoke Dip with a Zing! It’s one of my very favorite appetizers and its a cinch to make. It has a little bit of zing that comes from the addition of some prepared horseradish. I recently brought this dish to friends retirement party and it was gone in a flash.
First I thaw a box of frozen spinach just enough so that I can cut through it. Use 1/4 of the box of for this recipe and throw the rest of it back in the freezer. Once thawed, wring it out in several pieces of paper towels until most of the moisture is gone. Next grate the Parmesan cheese. I always use fresh grated Parm…you can’t beat the difference in taste. The pre-grated stuff has stabilizer added and keeps it from melting as well as the freshly grated stuff. In this recipe I’m using 2 different sized graters. For the dip I’m using a course grate and later for the topping I use a finer grate. I have 2 different sized Pampered Chef graters, but a box grater works fine too.
Next, drain and chop a can of marinated artichokes. In a medium bowl add the Parmesan and artichokes, along with softened cream cheese, grated Gruyere, mozzarella, mayonnaise, cayenne, horseradish and spinach. Stir all the ingredients together and transfer to an oven safe dish. Here I’m using the Pampered Chef Rockcrock Everyday Pan. It is perfect for dips because you can bake them in the oven and then keep them warm in the Slow Cooker Stand and it will stay perfectly warm for the whole party! If you buy them together in the Slow Cooker Set you can save quite a bit of money.
Now to make the topping…..First, chop up 4 slices of crispy bacon and the chives. Finely grate more Parmesan and combine with the panko bread crumbs, bacon and chives. Sprinkle this mixture over the prepared dip.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the dip is bubbly and the top is nicely browned. You can put under the broiler for a minute to get the topping a little more brown if desired….just keep a close eye on it. This is great served with tortilla chips, toasted bread, crackers…a spoon…you name it! Enjoy!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
For the Dip
- 1/4 pkg frozen spinach
- 15 oz can marinated artichokes
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz Gruyere
- 4 oz mozarella
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
For the topping
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 cup Parmesan
- 2 tbsp chives
For the Dip
- Thaw a small box of frozen spinach just enough so that you can cut through it. Set 1/4 of the spinach aside to continue to thaw and freeze the remainder. When thawed wring all of the water out of the spinach with several layers of paper towels.
- Grate 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese and add to a medium sized bowl along with the softened cream cheese, Gruyere, mozzarella, mayonnaise, cayenne, horseradish and spinach.
- Drain the artichokes and coarsely chop
- Stir all ingredients together until well combined and transfer to an oven safe dish.
For the Topping
- Chop crispy bacon and scallions.
- Grate 1 cup of Parmesan (preferably using a fine grater).
- In a small bowl add the bacon, scallions, Parmesan, and panko bread crumbs and mix to combine. Sprinkle over the prepared dip.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. You can also put under the broiler for a minute to further brown the top but keep a close eye on it.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips, toasted baguette, crackers, etc.
Items used that I adore to make my life easier and you might too: