I have also used it as an ingredient in cookies! It’s not hard like many types of granola. It’s still crunchy but doesn’t make you feel like you’re going to crack a tooth….just the right amount of crunch. It’s also very customizable and super easy to make! The recipe makes a ton and stored in an airtight container will last for several weeks. This is everything you’ll need…
First, add the old fashioned and quick oats to a large bowl. As for the nuts, you can really add any kind that suits your fancy. I often use pistachios or sliced almonds ….what ever you like, as long as you have 3 cups in total. Chop the nuts before adding them in with the oats. Again, it’s up to you how finely you chop the nuts…I like mine pretty chunky.
Now simply combine the oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt and whisk together. I prefer the flavor of freshly grated nutmeg. You can see below the whole nutmeg and the Microplane zester from Pampered Chef that I use to shave the nutmeg into a fine powder. The recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon….I used about 15 passes across the Microplane.
Now just pour the mixture over the nuts and oats and stir until the oats and nuts are evenly coated. The oats will begin to slightly absorb the mixture.
Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray and pour on the granola, spreading into an even layer. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure that the granola is cooking evenly.
When it comes out of the oven allow to cool completely. Transfer into a bowl and add the dried pomegranates and cranberries. Again, this is totally a personal preference….I love it with dried cherries and blueberries too…but feel free to add any type of fruit that you like.
This granola is seriously good stuff …and to this day is the only way my son will eat yogurt! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (preferably grated whole nutmeg)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried pomegranates
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Into a large bowl add old fashioned and quick oats
- Chop nuts to desired size and add to oats
- In a small bowl add oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt, and stir to combine
- Pour the mixture over the oats and nuts, and stir until all of the oats and nuts are evenly coated.
- Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray and spread granola into an even layer
- Bake for one hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure the granola cooks evenly
- Allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl add granola, pomegranates and cranberries and mix so dried fruit is evenly dispersed in granola
Here’s items I used that I adore and maybe you will too!
Please let me know your thoughts